Oakham Northgate Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, which measured 45 feet by 33 feet was opened on 3 November 1865 when it was said to seat 300. There was no gallery and the schoolroom was below the chapel. In 1873 the chapel provided seating for 282 persons but this figure fell 218 in 1901 and 192 in 1911. By 1940 it had risen to 200 sittings all in pews. A vestry and classrooms were added in 1893. A new schoolroom (40 feet by 21 feet) was built at the side of the chapel in 1935 and old schoolroom converted for use as a kitchen and lavatories. Further alterations and improvements were carried out in 1962 and 1982 but by 1990 it was clear that the old building was no longer fit for purpose and the process leading to the opening of the new building in 1998 put in hand.
The chapel was situated on the south side of Northgate Street, a little to the west of Finkey Street (grid ref SK858089
Leicestershire Record Office, N/M/NDD 1-15, Annual trust returns, Nottingham and Derby District 1860-1878
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, DDPD1 Methodist Church Buildings: Statistical returns including seating accommodation as at July 1st 1940/694 (Melton Mowbray Circuit)
John Rylands Library University of Manchester, MAC Lawson Returns of Accommodation provided by Wesleyan Methodist Chapels and other Preaching Places, Oakhm Circuit 1873/500, 1881/566 1891/613, 1901/626 and Melton Circuit 1911/591, 1931/598
Notes on the history of Oakham Methodist Church on the church website based on work by Barbara Dean published in the Rutland Record N0 13 1993 and subsequently updated. (http://www.oakhammethodistchurch.co.uk/page_2593990.html)