This building was designed by James Hine and Alfred Newman of Plymouth, and replaced a previous chapel on the same site (opened 1810, rebuilt 1862-1870) and an earlier chapel in Back Street (opened in 1764, rebuilt and then enlarged in 1789-1796 and sold in 1865).
Built to seat 634, at the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 575. The premises extended to a schoolroom and ten ancillary rooms. It is still in use as a Methodist church.
James Hine (1829-1914) and his partner Alfred Newman (1823-1893) were prominent Plymouth architects who designed a number of Wesleyan chapels. Launceston chapel is now a listed building.
To cut costs, the spire was built with Bath stone, but Mr Hine had to return in 1882 and 1901 to report on the deterioration of the stonework. The spire was rebuilt in Portland stone in 1901, but nevertheless had to be removed in 1984.
There is a full account of the building at this site
Launceston’s function as a market town is acknowledged by the inclusion of the Cornish shepherd and his sheep in the drawing.
Grid Ref: SX331847
Reference: The eighteenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1872 page 117