First meeting house. SW897477
There have been Methodists in Probus since the 1700s with various buildings housing places of worship.
In the 1700s, the daughter of Mr Dabb persuaded him to open up his house, opposite The Hawkins Arms pub, for meetings. This was probably the first Methodist meeting place in Probus.
Research suggests that a chapel was built in Chapel Street Probus in 1788, extended in 1802 and again in 1812.
In 1837 the large Methodist chapel which is next door, opened and this building later become the Day school (1885). It was custom for the old chapels to become Sunday schools and schools as bigger chapels were built and therefore it is assumed that this is the older chapel.
An old image from 1900s when it would have been the school shows the large chapel with the smaller building next to it, with a central door under the round window. It can be seen at:
The large Wesleyan chapel was built around 1837. There are pre exiting records of baptisms before this (Probus Wesleyan Chapel baptisms 1815 to 1837, and Wesleyan-Methodist Chapel baptisms from 1837 to 1903)
The white building next door was Probus Wesleyan Day school which ran from 1885 to c1930 when it merged with the CofE school. This may have also been the earlier Wesleyan chapel.
In 1851 there are archived agreements to purchase the leasehold for the Wesleyan chapel and there are records of re opening in 1877 of the Wesleyan Methodist. The church became Probus Methodist Church in 1932, part of Truro Methodist Circuit.
Records and minutes exist for Probus Methodist society until the 1990s and there is a letter of sale dated 1994
It is now a flourishing antiques shop (Junk and Disorderley)