St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall

St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall
St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall
St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall
St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall
St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall
St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall

St Just Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cornwall
On the 25th April 2016 a notice was posted on the St Just-in-Penwith Town Council website that the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was to close its doors for the last time at midnight on Thursday 31st August 2017.

The Chapel, often referred to as the Miner’s Cathedral opened its doors for worship on 27th September 1833. After 184 years the dwindling congregation was no longer able to support the cost of the huge building. Reporting the opening of the Chapel, the Royal Cornwall Gazette of 5th October 1833, announced that there was seated accommodation for 1800 worshippers (possibly an over-statement). The Religious Census of West Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly 1851 reported that the morning service was often attended by 650 while the figure in the evening was frequently over 1000. The actual figures for Sunday March 30th 1851 were 650 in the congregation in the morning and 900 in the evening. The census also reported that St Just, population 5,559 (not inc. Pendeen), contained 950 people giving their denomination as Church of England; 1390 Wesleyans; and 700 Bible Christians. The same source gives of 1000 for seating and this was clearly only just adequate! The opening of the Chapel was described by the Rev. John Hobson, who transmits the depth of religious fervour felt by those present in the congregation: “St Just Chapel was in the morning more than doubly filled, upwards of 1200 people were present and all were bathed in tears. At night the Chapel was crowded almost to suffocation. The steam ran down the walls, the gallery stairs were flooded with it, and had not all the windows been opened, every light would have gone out.” The opening of the Chapel was described by the Rev. John Hobson, who transmits the depth of religious fervour felt by those present in the congregation: “St Just Chapel was in the morning more than doubly filled, upwards of 1200 people were present and all were bathed in tears. At night the Chapel was crowded almost to suffocation. The steam ran down the walls, the gallery stairs were flooded with it, and had not all the windows been opened, every light would have gone out.”

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *