Cookham Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Berkshire

Grid ref SU896854

Cookham Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built in 1846 and extended in 1911. It is now occupied by the  Stanley Spencer Gallery. (The Buildings of England, Berkshire, p254; Dutton & Allen, Directory of Berks, Bucks and Oxon, p259)

Cookham Methodist Chapel, general view, 7.10.2015 (2)
G W Oxley
Cookham Methodist Chapel, front elevation, 7.10.2015
G W Oxley
Cookham Methodist Chapel, date plaque and coat of arms, 7.10.2015
G W Oxley

Comments about this page

  • This building was described as a Wesleyan chapel on a map of 1897-9 but the label had gone by 1910-12, implying that the reference to an 1911 extension is incorrect and should be ignored. In 1923-25 it was simply described as Hall. It seems likely that it was closed in conjunction with the construction of the new chapel at Cookham Rise in 1904.
    Sources
    OS 25inch sheets Berkshire XXIV 7, 1897-9, 1910-12, 1923-25
    Site visit 7.10.2015

    By G W Oxley (07/01/2020)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *