Charney Bassett WM Chapel, Berkshire

Grid ref: 51°38'58.7"N 1°27'11.4"W 51.649642, -1.453162

Ian Graham

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Charney Bassett WM Chapel, Berkshire' page

In 1848, a cottage and garden in Charney Bassett  was acquired in what was Little Lane (now Chapel Lane) for use by the society and became a chapel in the Wantage Wesleyan Methodist Circuit.

 During the lifetime of Charney Bassett Chapel, Wantage was the head of the circuit with smaller chapels in local villages.  

 The Chapel was closed and became the village hall in 1956.

 Click the link for the 'History of Charney Bassett' which gives more details and background: Wesleyan Methodist Chapel – The History of Charney Bassett

The following is abstracted from ‘Charney Bassett Through the Centuries’ by Jasmine S Howes 1975:

 Dated 15th June 1848. William Shippery Esquire to Mr James Moss and others. Release of a Cottage and Garden situate at Charney … for the use of the Wesleyans.

 … the … parties … have contracted and agreed with … William Shippery for the absolute purchase of … All that Cottage or Tenement and Garden situate … in the Village of Charney … now in the occupation of Ann Franklin …..

 I undersigned Joseph Henry Slack of Wantage … Wesleyan Minister DO HEREBY … CERTIFY that a certain Building known by the name of Weslyan Methodist Chapel situated at Charney … is intended to be used … as a Place of Meeting for Religious Worship by a Congregation … of persons calling themselves Weslyan Methodists … Dated this twenty eighth day of April 1875 …

 Dated 6th Dec 1884 Charney Wesleyan Chapel. Appointment of New Trustees and Conveyance of the Trust Property to the continuing and New Trustees. This Indenture … [concerning] The Cottage or tenement and garden situate in the village of Charney … then in the occupation of Ann Franklin (upon part of which garden a Chapel has since been built …

 

 

 

This page was added by Pamela Atkins on 12/07/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.