The foundation stone for the chapel in Bank Street was laid on 22nd March, 1865 and the opening services held on 10th May 1866. The street was later renamed Woodlands Road.
Built to seat 860, the chapel was believed to have space for 818 in 1873, and 650 in 1940 (following alterations). The architect was C.O. Ellison of Liverpool.
Reference: The eleventh annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1865. Frontispiece.