Woodhouse Eaves Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Burial register
Burial Register 1862-1934, and Gravestone Survey 1800-1861
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel at Woodhouse Eaves was originally built in 1800, and had a burial ground at the back of the plot. The building was replaced in 1887, but burials continued until 1934.
The Burial book lists all 114 interments made between 1862 and 1934. Members of 37 families are involved. There are multiple burials from families of the original trustees (Foulds, Squire, Smith, Hardy). There are four Wesleys buried in this burial ground, although they are not direct descendents of the founders of Methodism.
It is interesting to note that the majority of burial services were held by laymen. Their names are in italics in the transcript.
If there was a Burial book for the first 60 years of the chapel’s existence it has not survived. A survey of the gravestones has allowed a list of 21 individuals buried between 1807 and 1859 to be compiled, with a further 3 individuals commemorated on the stones but not listed in the surviving burial book.