Registered Wesleyan Methodist places of worship in Herefordshire, 1867

Registered Wesleyan Methodist chapels in Herefordshire, 1867
This work incorporates historical material provided by the Great Britain Historical GIS Project and the University of Portsmouth through their web site A Vision of Britain through Time (https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/)

This is a list of chapels that had been registered by 1867, derived from ‘A list of places of meeting for public religious worship, certified to the Registrar General’.   Remember that registration was not compulsory. As registration was valid until cancelled, however, there may be duplication: i.e.  both the old and new chapels in a place may be listed. We have also discovered that the official location may not be the same as the name by which the chapel is commonly described.

Unless otherwise stated each of these places of worship is described as a chapel.

The numbers on the list relate to places, and match those on the map. The base map is provided under this licence

The chapels in the southern part of Herefordshire were part of the Bristol District, whilst those in the north were part of the Birmingham and Shrewsbury District. For information about their capacity, go to  The Returns of Accommodation of 1873  Two other useful maps are Plates 3 and 7 of The Wesleyan Methodist Atlas  Note that nearly twice as many chapels were recorded in 1873 than in this 1867 list. Was this due to rented properties not being registered, or a sudden evangelisation of the county?

Use the search box to find out more about a chapel.

ChapelNotesRegistration District
Bosbury, Stanley Hill1Ledbury
Colwall Green2Ledbury
Eardisland3Weobley
Eaton Bishop4Hereford
Eccles Green, Norton Cannon5Weobley
Hereford, Bridge Street6Hereford
Hungerstone, Allensmore7Hereford
Kingsland8Leominster
Kingswood, Kington9Presteigne
Kington10Presteigne
LaystersPreaching Room11Leominster
Ledbury, Homend StreetA building12Ledbury
Leominster, Burgess Street13Leominster
LustonPreaching Room14Leominster
Marston, Pembridge15Presteigne
Much Marcle16Ledbury
Peterchurch, north side of main roadA building occupied by Revd. Chas. Williams, Wesleyan Minister17Hereford
Ross, Edde Cross Street18Ross
Stoke PriorPreaching Room19Leominster
Tarrington, Rose Cottage20Ledbury
Upton Bishop21Ross
Yarpole22Leominster

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.