WYMAN, Edward 1880 - 1962
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1962, page 206
Born at Whittesley, near Peterborough, in 1880.
After a pre-collegiate year at Kettering he entered Richmond College and subsequently served in the following circuits : Kingston-on-Thames, Tavistock, Rugby, Burton on- Trent,. Nottingham, Grimsby, Rotherham, Darlington, Whitby, Middlesbrough and Birmingham.
His ministry was characterized by thoughtful preaching (in which his love of the poets was apparent), diligent pastoral care and administrative ability of the first order.
He had a fine knowledge of Methodist law and discipline, and few can have excelled him in the conduct of business meetings.
During his ministry in Whitby he was responsible for the conversion of the old manor house at Robin Hood’s Bay into a modem church.
In 1947 he became a supernumerary and was a welcome preacher both- in the Highgate Circuit, where he settled, and in neighbouring churches. He attached himself to the Church at Holly Park, where he gave valuable assistance and led a weekly class meeting.
He loved people, and by his gracious spirit and kindly ways won the affection of all who knew him. Towards children, in whose company he delighted, his kindness knew no bounds.
He was blessed with a lively sense of humour, and even when increasing physical weakness and disability compelled him to remain indoors, was never despondent but always exemplified that gaiety of spirit which he believed to be an essential element in the character of a Christian.
His faith, which found its most powerful expression in his offering of prayer, had its source in his firm conviction of the nearness of God and the all-sufficiency of Christ.
He died on 24 January 1962, in the eighty-second year of his age and the fifty-fifth year of his ministry.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1962