TREGONING, Henry 1870 - 1950
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1950, page 158
Born near Penzance, in 1870, of Cornish fanning stock. His boyhood was partly spent in Sussex. After training at Richmond College, he was called out to the Mission field and worked in Honduras for seven years.
He returned to the Home work in 1900, to give the whole of his remaining ministry of thirty-four years to Yorkshire circuits. The first of these was Huddersfield where, at Milnsbridge, he took part in a remarkable revival.
Here he met his wife, Agnes, daughter of the late Mr. Eli Mallinson, who survives him. Hanover Place (Leeds), Dewsbury, Haworth and Oakworth, Whitby, Richmond, Barnard Castle, Pickering, Stokesley, and Tadeaster were his subsequent appointments.
In them all his energy and organizing power, his courtesy and pastoral care won advance for the Kingdom and brought him a host of friends whom he never forgot.
Everywhere he did signal service for Overseas Missions. He loved building, and no less than three country chapels are his monument.
For retirement he chose Wetherby, tending his garden and serving the pulpits of the neighbourhood till quite near the end.
He passed peacefully home at Ripon on 17th July 1950 in his eightieth year, and the fifty-seventh of his ministry.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1950