PASCOE, John Montgomery 1861 - 1949
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1950, page 122
Born at Dobwalls, near Liskeard, in 1861. He was the son of a highly esteemed local preacher, and on the day on which his father preached his last sermon he preached his first.
After some years in charge of the family business he was accepted for the Ministry, entering Didsbury College 1887. Three years later he began a period of service under the Home Mission Committee, doing special evangelistic work in the Bolton District, in Cornwall, and elsewhere—a duty he discharged with notable effect.
He entered circuit work at his own request, and served for the most part in the large provincial centres of the country. In every place he proved himself a faithful and devoted servant of Christ. He neglected no talent that served the one great design of bringing men and women to God.
He was an industrious student and a careful reader. His love of his people took him frequently into their homes, and a deep understanding of human nature helped him to serve them well. Though he had a diversity of gifts, they were all servants of his master-passion—so to preach that men and women were turned to God. This flame burned brightly to the end.
Through his ministry, class leaders, teachers, local preachers, ministers, and a great company of faithful members were given to the work of God. Of this number was S. Parkes Cadman, who, being converted under his preaching, was later to become one of the foremost figures in American religious life, and was always an affectionate correspondent until he died.
He retired to Southport in 1930, and continued to preach until increasing deafness restricted this activity. But he did not cease to serve. To younger men he was a fount of wisdom, and he brought to them the power and passion of other days. More than he knew, he touched their ministry with his own flame.
On the morning of the 2nd August 1949, his eighty-eighth birthday, his earthly ministry came to its end in its fifty-ninth year.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1950