JONES, Hugh Morley 1894 - 1962
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1962, page 218
Born in 1894, at Llanfairceirinion, Montgomeryshire, the son of Rev. Edward Jones of the Welsh Assembly. He entered Headingley in 1914, but his college course was interrupted by service in the R.A.M.C. in Macedonia and Palestine.
After one year in the Welsh Ministry at Brynmawr, he transferred to the English work and travelled in Tiverton, Peterborough, Northampton, Lincoln, Keighley. Birmingham, Bournemouth, Sutton (Surrey), Morecambe and Sale, becoming a supernumerary in 1958.
He was a gifted preacher with characteristic Welsh fire and passion. His ministry at Northampton was typical of his work. There he found a church which was nearly empty, but before the end of his three years as its minister it was full, and after he left it continued to flourish. Similar results were seen in Sutton, where he built up a church that had suffered through evacuation during the war.
Many can pay tribute to his diligence in pastoral work. He was a friendly man, and one who loved human contacts in all walks of life, outside as well as within the scope of the Church.
He had a great love of English literature, a great sense of humour and a keen wit, which made him popular with all classes. At the same time his was a challenging and stimulating personality.
His preaching was marked by careful preparation, and was forthright and certain. It came as a blow when he had to retire after forty-one years for family reasons, but he continued to be in demand in many churches, not only in Methodism but in other denominations as well.
The end came with great suddenness. Within twenty-four hours of a severe stroke he passed away on 18 June 1962 in the sixty-ninth year of his age ‘and the forty-fourth of his ministry.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1962