HOPPER, William 1874 - 1950
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1950, page 143
Born at New Battle, Dalkeith. His parents were Presbyterians. When he was twelve years of age the family moved from Glasgow to Leeds, and joined the Beeston Hill Methodist Church. He owed much to the years spent in Leeds Higher Grade School, and he never lost his interest in educational movements throughout his career. On leaving, school he was apprenticed to a firm of printers, in whose service he remained until he entered the Ministry.
He was attracted by the fervent evangelism of Samuel Chadwick at Meadow Lane Mission, and was converted under his ministry.
After his conversion he identified himself with the activities of the mission, taking part in cottage meetings and open-air services. He started preaching by conducting a service in a miner’s cottage at Belle Vue, Middleton, and this was his first effort at proclaiming the Gospel that was to be the inspiration of all his work in later years.
He offered as a candidate for the Ministry while he was living in Reading.
Three happy years spent at Headingley equipped him intellectually, morally, and spiritually for the work awaiting him.
Then followed forty-four years in the active work, in town and country circuits, in two of which he served twice.
His preaching, based upon sound exposition, was evangelical, helpful, and sympathetic, and brought light and comfort to many.
He loved books and took a deep interest in all forms of social service. He owed his administrative gifts and sound business methods to his early business training, and these gifts were dedicated to the service of the Church.
He served Methodism as Secretary and as Chairman of the York Synod, and for many years had a seat on the Board of Management of our Bookroom.
He was a brotherly man, a true friend, a gracious personality, who discharged his responsibilities with dignity and courtesy.
He passed to his reward on 15th February 1950, at the age of seventy-six and in the fifty-first year of his ministry.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1950