HART, Hugh Atherton 1875 - 1950
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1950, page 148
Born at Peterborough, in 1875, where he became acandi- date for the Ministry. He went to Headingley College, and in 1900 became Chairman’s Assistant to the Rev. E. J. Brailsford.
His love was for pastoral work and preaching. Sensitive and retiring, he was not eager for administrative work, and in 1930, in his last circuit, he declined the Superintendency and became without pastoral charge.
In spite of delicate health, he gave generous service to the circuit as a devout and cultured preacher. To the church at Oaklands Gate, North wood, he was generous and helpful, and his counsel and encouragement were always unobtrusively at the service of the members and pastors of that church. His ministry in this respect never ceased, and grateful memories of his courtly manner and gracious spirit abound among our people.
No mention of him would be complete without record of his love for his home and his delight in his garden. His musical taste and his executive ability as a pianist were well known in his circuits, and many a good cause and private friend have found profit and delight in his playing.
Truly a gracious spirit to the end, his quiet passing occurred on 24th April 1950.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1950