GRAHAM, James 1873 - 1950
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1950, page 154
Bom at Kendal in 1873, where he was educated at the Grammar School. Leaving Headingley for a supply appointment in Glasgow, he travelled subsequently in both industrial and rural areas. He became a supernumerary in 1934, and lived for nine years at Araside before returning to his boyhood’s home at Kendal in 1944.
A man of outstanding goodness, his orderly and reverent mind dwelt habitually on things that are ‘ lovely and of good report’.
He loved life with a boyish enthusiasm which prolonged physical weakness could not quench ; to the end his spirit remained undaunted by the disability which had forced him to a year’s retirement.
An accomplished violinist, he pursued beauty and truth with the devotion of an artist, a man of letters, and a true child of Nature.
All this humane quality of mind and character was evident both in his preaching and in circuit administration.
To business meetings he brought an atmosphere which made contention impossible, ruling with quiet firmness and patience. He set forth the true and lively word of God both by his life and doctrine. Modesty, generosity, and integrity marked all his intercourse with colleagues and with officials; and his people were his friends.
To all who were privileged to share that friendship, he gave himself, and it was a good gift—God’s gift to His Church of a soul made gentle by the graces of Christian godliness.
He died on 12th June 1950, in the seventy-eighth year of his age and the fifty-third of his ministry.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1950