COOPER, Bertram 1867 - 1950
Obituary from the Minutes of the Methodist Conference 1950, page 154
Bom at Tarporfey, Cheshire, in 1867. He was a son Of the Manse, and educated at Kingswood. He began preaching at the age of seventeen, and was trained for the Ministry at Handsworth College, beginning his ministry at Berkhamsted.
Most of the sixteen circuits in which he travelled were in the country, and in his early days he was known as the ‘ walking parson ‘.
He was a man of boundless energy who was always in love with his work. A wise administrator, he initiated and carried through many schemes both for building churches and clearing off debts. His vision of the glory of God was very clear, and he was able to communicate it to others by his forceful preaching.
He was a true Methodist theologian, always faithful to the ‘ Standing Orders ‘, and was known for his great sense of humour.
He completed his active ministry at Oxford, and resided in the Cannock Chase Circuit in 1928, where he had previously been the Superintendent Minister.
At the recent Synod of the Wolverhampton and Shrewsbury District, when he had completed sixty years in the Ministry, he made a presentation to the Chairman on behalf of the ministers.
His voice, as always, rang out clear and strong as he delighted his brethren with a speech that was a masterpiece of eloquence, revealing affection and love touched with humour.
At the Quarterly Meeting of the Cannock Chase Circuit a few days before his death he preached a memorable sermon at the afternoon service.
He was known throughout the Midlands as an angler, who kept detailed records of the many thousands of fish he had landed in the seventy years of fishing.
He will be best remembered as a faithful minister of the Church who was a fisher of men, whose life was given in faithfully preaching the riches of Divine Grace.
After a walk in his garden, he sat in his favourite chair and passed peacefully away on 12th June 1950, at the age of eighty-three.
©Trustees for Methodist Church Purposes 1950