Leeds, Holbeck, Prospect Chapel, Sweet Street West (North Side)

Situated on the Northern corner of Sweet Street West and Holbeck Lane, this United Methodist Free Church chapel was to the design of Thomas Ambler, having previously been partly erected on the other side of Sweet Street West and taken down before completion. Commenced in 1864, it was opened as Prospect Chapel on the 9th November 1865 to replace the Crosland Street Chapel. The overall cost including removal from the original plot was £3690, whilst the original plot had realised £1620 paid by the Midland Railway Company.
However, in 1879, the London & North Western Railway Company required the site for their new Holbeck Viaduct. The whole property was sold for £8000, and the building material was auctioned for the Railway company on the 24th August 1879 and realised £300, having been bought by the Bethel Congregational Chapel to be rebuilt on Upper Wortley Road, Leeds.
The final public meeting was held in this building on the 28th January 1880, and the building was dismantled the following month.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *