The preaching house in Winchelsea was opened in 1785. John Wesley preached inside the house on 29th January 1789, and conducted his final open air service under a tree not far away on 7th October 1791.
When the 1873 accommodation returns were compiled it was thought that 200 could be seated, and a similar estimate was made for the 1940 returns. Postwar prosperity is no doubt the reason why capacity had reduced to 80 in 1970.
The chapel still exists, but is now only used for special occasions as the circuit website and chapel website inform us. They also contain further photographs. The drawing of the tree on this page is from 1902, as the tree no longer exists.