The building illustrated was designed by Charles Bell (1846-1899), a London architect responsible for the design of sixty Wesleyan chapels, and built on Ewell Road in 1881 in red brick and Bath stone. 1,000 sittings were provided, 660 on the ground floor and 330 in the galleries, and the cost was £5,000.
At the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 536. It is still in use as a Methodist church, and the story of Surbiton Methodism is well told here.
Grid ref: TQ185672
Reference: The twenty-eighth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1882 page 140
The Building News 40, 1881 page 548
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Surbiton Hill Methodist Church https://www.surbitonhillmethodist.co.uk [accessed 28 November 2019].