The competition to build this chapel on South Norwood Hill was won by Alexander Lauder of Barnstaple, who designed a number of Wesleyan chapels. The premises consisted of a church, large schoolroom and five vestries, being built of brick with freestone detailing. The foundation stones were laid in October 1874.
Designed to accommodate 1020, by the time of the 1940 Statistical Returns, it could seat 800, reduced to 700 in 1970.
The church was demolished 1976, but the lecture hall at the back has been adapted into the current church.
The Architect Vol. 12, 1874 p230
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns Part 1, 1972. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1972