This chapel was built in 1864-65 to replace an earlier chapel (dating from 1833) on Stafford Street, which was no longer in the right neighbourhood to attract worshippers.
The chapel was designed by William Ford Poulton, a Reading architect who specialised in the design of non-conformist chapels. It was in Kentish ragstone with Bath stone dressings and early decorated Gothic style.
Throughout its life this chapel could seat 1000, and in 1902 was attracting a congregation of 935.
Damaged during the war, the building was renovated in 1954 but became uneconomical to maintain. It was demolished in 1972, but replaced by a new community church in 1973 which remains open for worship.
Grid Ref: TQ347767
Reference: The eleventh annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1865 page 103
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947