This building dating from 1865 was called Leigh Memorial Methodist Church, after Rev Samuel Leigh who was born in Milton on 1 September 1785. He become the first Methodist Missionary to Australia and New Zealand, between 1815 and 1833, and died back in England in 1852.
The chapel was designed by George B. Ford of Burslem, and replaced an earlier building dating from 1841, which remained in use as a Sunday School.
Leigh Memorial could seat 237 , but was extended in 1897, and the capacity increased to 411.
The building became unsafe and beyond repair, and was replaced by modern premises in 1997. This chapel is still in use.
Grid Ref: SJ907502
Reference: The twelfth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1866 page 115
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947