Leek Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist chapel as originally built
Englesea Brook Museum of Primitive Methodism
Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist chapel after re-building
Englesea Brook Museum of Primitive Methodism

Randle Knight, librarian at the  Englesea Brook Museum of Primitive Methodism, finds all sorts of ephemera in, or with, books that have been given to the library, and the two photographs of the interior of Leek Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist chapel were found in a recent donation.

Although the photographs appear different, they are in fact the same chapel ; thanks to John Anderson for the explanation.

The pictures are of exceptional interest illustrating  the development  of furnishings of the chapel and the significant changes made over a long period. The chapel was built in 1811 and the top photo shows some of the original fittings including the two tier pulpit and reading desk. The lower photo shows the interior after the complete refurbishment carried out at the time if the centenary in 1911 , including new gallery fronts, seating and rostrum.

The chapel stood on Mount Pleasant at SJ 9820 5670.  There’s a block of flats on the site in 2024.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.