Thanks to Nag for the picture of Swan Bank chapel that became Bilston Methodist church. The picture led to the Black Country History website which gives some intriguing information about the chapel, including that:
- it was the first building in Bilston to be lit by gas and
- the sale of water stored in cisterns under the hall supplemented society income
- the church’s burial ground opened in 1832, in time to accommodate victims of a cholera epidemic
The building in the picture dates from 1823; it was opened to replace an earlier chapel in Temple Street that was too small for a growing congregation. A minister’s house was built alongside the chapel in 1831.
Alterations were made to the church building in 1890 and shortly afterwards, following a fire in the vestries . In 1969 the old building was demolished and a new purpose built church opened in July 1970: it closed in November 2023. The old schools building still exists on Street View in August 2022.