Batheaston Methodist Church, Bath

Batheaston Methodist Church , Northend, Batheaston, Bath

It is said that John Wesley preached in Batheaston, but to date no one has been able to pinpoint the precise location. By 1797 however the “Batheaston Society of the people Called Methodists” was in being as part of the Bath Circuit.

The original chapel building, costing around £100, was erected on a plot of land in Northend., rented on a 999 year lease, with a ground rent of £1 per year of “good and lawful money of Great Britain”.

Names of those early pioneers have long since been lost but in the mid 19th century there were Bryants, Richs, Crouchs and Butlers amongst others, including Mr James Lewis who held the position of  Candle Snuffer.

By 1875 the chapel building was deteriorating to such an extent that a decision was made to replace it and a new one was erected on the site in 1876 at a cost of around £400.

Other names to feature in the story, of more recent times were the Burchells, Padfields, Huckers (Michael was subsequently ordained).

In the 1920s a further piece of land was purchased adjoining the chapel site and a schoolroom erected at a cost of around £1000.

In the 1990s Batheaston was part of a local Ecumenical partnership with other churches in the village.

The Society closed in 2015.

A more detailed history appears in “At Satan’s Throne- A history of Bath Methodism” ed Bruce Crofts and published by White Tree Books 1990.

Comments about this page

  • Correction. Last service 2018. Church sold 2019.

    By Jeff Parsons (04/01/2024)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.