Oldfield Park Wesleyan Methodist chapel was opened in 1892. It served an area largely made up of compact family homes accommodating the workforce for industries which have since ceased to be viable – Stothert and Pitt (cranes), Clarks (shoes), CIC, Hayward and Wooster, George Yeo, Horstmanns and the railway (Somerset and Dorset, and Great Western).
The building was on two levels – the lower one was the Sunday School and hall whilst the worship area was upstairs. Disabled access was an issue and contributed to the decision to close in 2006, but the main reason lay with the changing nature of the area around the church with a much higher proportion of student accommodation. Local families were priced out of the area.
The church hall was called the “Institute” on detailed maps. The church hall was demolished in 2010 and the church converted into residential accommodation. The Society moved up the hill to join with the work at Southdown.
Thanks to Jeff Parsons for pointing out that the architect was probably T Silcock of Bath and providing the reference to “The Church on the Corner, the story of Oldfield Park Methodist Church Bath” by Roy and Margaret Wilcox (1991)