Dumfries, Buccleugh Street WM Chapel, Dumfries and Galloway

Grid ref NX971763

The chapel was built by the Episcopalians in 1817 at a cost of £2224. The architect was TF Hunt. It was sold to the Wesleyans for £800 in 1868. They extended the building to create the Wesley Hall at a cost of £1100 in 1911. In 1922 an organ was purchased from Loreburn UF Church for £150. In 1940 the chapel seated 257 in pews. There were no other buildings. In 1951 the chapel was re-roofed at a cost of £486 and in 1966 a major refurbishment costing £3000 was undertaken. It was closed in 1981. In 1996 it was reported to be disused and roofless but by 2017 it had been acquired by JD Wetherspoon and restored for use as a pub. This building is unusual in that although it was in Scotland it was in the English Carlisle Circuit and Carlisle District throughout its period of use as a Methodist place of worship.


Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM  District property schedules, 1898-1917

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Carlisle Library, 1A287,  Dumfries Methodist Church, 1868-1968

Gifford, John, Dumfries and Galloway, Buildings of Scotland, 1996, p241

Huggon, John, Carlisle Methodism, Parts 3, Cumbria Wesley Historical Society, , Spring 2015

Site visit 4.3.2017

Dumfries WM Chapel, general view, 04.03.2017
G W Oxley
Dumfries WM Chapel, Buccleugh Street facade, 04.03.2017
G W Oxley
Dumfries WM Chapel, Castle Street side, 04.03.2017
G W Oxley
Dumfries WM Chapel, interpretation board, 04.03.2017
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.