Willoughby on the Wolds used to have both Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The Wesleyan society first met in Mr. Clarke’s house until a chapel was erected in 1803 in Chapel Lane. This was replaced in 1887. The original site was retained as a graveyard.
In 1851 William Garton, the Steward, reported that there were 150 free spaces, and 46 others. He also reported that the average congregation at the afternoon service was 90, with 71 Sunday School scholars. The seating of the original chapel was 176 in 1873.
The new chapel was of a similar size, with 150 seats reported in 1940, and 121 in 1970.
Membership was in the thirties between 1950 and 1980, but by the Millennium no members were recorded, and the chapel was sold in 2006. The photograph shows the location of the chapel, on the right hand side.
Grid reference SK635253
Loughborough Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. Notes respecting chapels, schools and other trust properties … presented to the Quarterly Meeting held on Saturday, 15th March, 1930
Nottinghamshire Record Office. C/QDR/2/10
Religious census 1851
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns 1970. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1972