The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Sutton Bonington was opened in 1796, and enlarged and reopened on 31st August 1828. Cartographic evidence suggests that it was located at Grid reference SK506251, but all other evidence suggests that the building at that location was the Wesleyan Methodist Association/ UMFC chapel of 1853.
John Blackley, the Steward, signed the Religious Census return on 30 March 1851, stating that there were 182 free and 122 other spaces. The Sunday School had met in the morning with 102 attendees. The afternoon service in the chapel had been attended by 150, and 120 had worshipped in the evening.
The current chapel was built in 1868, and is still open for worship. The seating capacity was estimated at 294 in 1873, falling to 268 in 1940 and 200 in 1970.
Grid reference SK507249
Myles, William. A Chronological History of the People Called Methodists, of the Connexion of the late Rev. John Wesley; from their Rise, in the Year 1729, to their Last Conference, in 1812. 4th ed. London: printed at the Conference-Office … by Thomas Cordeux, 1813 p 435
Nottinghamshire Record Office. C/QDR/2/10
Religious census 1851
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns 1970. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1972