The story of Wesleyan Methodism in Normanton on Soar started with services being held here in the houses of Mr. Hayfield and Mr. Berrington for many years. John Hayfield was a gardener in Normanton, and Steward of the chapel. The return he submitted in 1851 stated that the chapel had built in 1832. The 1829 returns of dissenters to the Nottinghamshire Quarter Sessions does not include a Wesleyan congregation in Normanton, so we may take 1832 as marking the start of the cause. The meeting house had 60 free spaces and space for ten to stand, and the congregation on 30th March 1850 was 30 in the afternoon, and 59 in the evening – which would have been full capacity. In 1873 it was noted that the chapel in Normanton was rented, and would accomodate 60.
The building illustrated was built in 1889, but by 1930 it was closed. Although now a domestic residence, the structure has been preserved so it is still recognisable as a former chapel. Three foundation stones are still in place: the Rev. Thomas Brighouse (1834-1906) had spent his early life in Normanton on Soar, so was clearly asked back when the society finally managed to afford their own chapel.
Grid reference SK515235
Loughborough Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. Notes respecting chapels, schools and other trust properties … presented to the Quarterly Meeting held on Saturday, 15th March, 1930
1851 Religious census
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875