John Wesley recorded in his Journal that he preached twice at Gringley-on-the-Hill when he was in his seventies in 1774 and 1776. In 1800 a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was established on the High Street, the site is now occupied by the garden of ‘High Levels’. It was rebuilt and enlarged on the same site in 1836 and until 1932 was part of the Retford Wesleyan Methodist Circuit. It closed in 1958 and both the chapel and the school room were sold. The chapel was demolished and the school room converted into a dwelling, which still stands today.