Newington Wesleyan Methodist chapel
The current Newington Methodist church on the west side of Church Lane is the third building used by the Methodist society in the village. It was erected in 1983, using the former school room when the society could no longer maintain the previous building due to lack of funds.
That previous building had been opened by Wesleyan Methodists on the same site around 1880. It in turn replaced an earlier chapel on the east side of Church Lane. When the first chapel was built is not clear but it does appear on the 1841 Tithe map and index. When the chapel was pulled down around 1880 it was replaced by Bethel Cottages which still stand on the site.
Starting from their faith, chapels were centres for all sorts of social, educational and artistic activities and Newington was no exception. At various times it supported a choir, an orchestra, a Sunday school and all sorts of weekly meetings.
Thanks to Richard Thompstone of the Newington History Group for the above information which holds its meetings in the village’s Methodist hall. It is taken from Thelma Dudley’s 2002 book: Newington Times Past