This chapel was opened on 9th November, 1864 by the Rev. W.L. Thornton, President of Conference. It replaced two previous Wesleyan chapels in the village (occupied 1841-1846 and 1846-1864). Until then, Blackheath Wesleyans had attended George Street, Greenwich. The architect of the new chapel was James Wilson, and the total cost was £8,000. Once paid for, it was intended to erect a Minister’s house on the east side, and Schools to the rear. The chapel was thought to seat 969 in 1873, but by 1940 it was thought 830 was the capacity.
With the opening of this chapel, the Wesleyan Methodist Conference stationed Rev G.S. Rowe in Blackheath, the first minister to live in the village.
Reference: The Tenth annual report of the Wesleyan Chapel Committee, 1864 pp 101-103