Winchester, St. Peter Street Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Winchester, St. Peter Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, from the north
Philip Thornborow, 2023
Winchester, St. Peter Street Wesleyan Methodist chapel from the South
Philip Thornborow, 2023
Winchester, St. Peter Street Wesleyan Methodist chapel from the rear
Philip Thornborow, 2023
Winchester, St. Peter Street WM chapel

This building was designed in 1864 by W.W. Pocock (1813-1899),  a second generation Wesleyan Methodist architect closely associated with  Wesley’s Chapel in London. It replaced the 1818 chapel in Parchment street

The 1876 additions were by S.J. Newman of Northampton.

In 1873 it was calculated that the chapel would seat 320. This reduced to 276 in 1940, and 250 in 1970, when the Sunday School was believed to accommodate a further 266.

The chapel closed when the URC and Methodist work in the centre of Winchester was brought together in the United Church.

As always, any further information about this building and the members will be very welcome.

Sources:

Hampshire Archives and Local Studies 79M72 Winchester Methodist Circuit

Returns of accommodation provided in Wesleyan Methodist chapels … 1873

Statistical returns 1940

Statistical returns 1970

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.