Winchester, Parchment Street Wesleyan Methodist chapel

Winchester, Parchment Street WM

Pocock reports that John Wesley opened a chapel in Winchester in November 1785. He also reports (p26) that it was, in fact, a loft over a stable. This building was in Silver Hill, and the society moved to a chapel in Parchment Street in 1818.

On 30 March 1851 the Rev. James Smith, the minister, reported that the building had been erected in 1818, “in lieu of another”. There were 250 sittings, and the Rev. Smith stated that the morning congregation had been 104, with 33 Sunday School scholars, whilst in the evening 134 had attended.

This photograph of the chapel  was taken by Keith Guyler in 1996.

Pocock further commented that the chapel had been replaced by a more modern one in St. Peter Street in 1864, whilst modestly not mentioning that he was the architect of the new building.

 

Sources:

Pocock, W.W. A sketch of the history of Wesleyan-Methodism in some of the southern counties of England. 1885

The National Archives HO 129/109/29

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.