This chapel was built 1876 to designs by James Tait of Leicester, and replaced the octagonal chapel in Acre Street. It opened on 27 October 1876.
The 1940 returns state capacity was 488. By 1970, reduced to 174 with seating in the Sunday School for 318. The congregation in 1971, however, was around 80. The chapel was closed in the late 1970s and converted into flats in the 1980s. The Methodist church in Stroud now shares premises with St Albans Church of England church on Parliament Street.
The building is listed https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1366140
There are older photographs by Guyler and Smith on the British Methodist Buildings website.