John Wesley preached at Stroud in 1742 and 1744, and between 1746 and 1753 he made several visits to a community of his followers in the town. In 1763 they built a chapel on the west side of Acre Street. Wesley preached there to “an overflowing congregation” on 18 March 1765, and he continued to visit Stroud in March each year until his death in 1791 in order to preach at the chapel. It was greatly enlarged in 1796 , seating 584, and in 1851 it was reported that the chapel had congregations of 300-400. (H.O. 129/338/4/1/7)
The congregation moved to the new chapel in Castle Street when it opened in 1876. The Octagon became the Salvation Army Citadel in 1891, but it remains the oldest surviving octagonal Methodist chapel.
Earlier photographs by Smith and Guyler may be found on the British Methodist Buildings website.
The building is listed https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1268473
Grid reference SO 85450515