Methodism has been present in the Kinson area since the 1840s. The earliest meetings were held in the open-air near a small group of cottages in West Howe by Preachers from the Poole Circuit.
Meetings were held in local homes until a thatched Chapel was built in Poole Lane on land owned by William RICHARD Frampton Shoemaker in the early 1850s.
Richard, his wife Maria and their children were living in Ensbury when the 1841 census was taken but had moved to West Howe by 1851 when they were the only people recorded as living in Poole Lane. There is no mention of the Chapel in the 1851 census. By the time of his death, registered Q1 1861, Richard owned two adjacent cottages in West Howe. Maria Frampton was still living in one of them with some of her children when the 1861 census was taken. She was working as a charwoman. The enumerator of that census didn’t differentiate whereabouts in the village people were living. He also ‘forgot’ to enter the Wesleyan and Independent Chapels and Howe Lodge in their proper place and simply added them onto the end of the return for Kinson.
John Hicks the Thatcher bought the two properties in two separate transactions. An Indenture for the conveyance of the second of the properties, dated 13 March 1862 is held at the Dorset History Centre in Dorchester. The conveyance is of a piece of Land Cottage and premises purchased from Richard’s widow Maria (who had a dower interest in it) and his son and heir Thomas to Thomas Hicks for the sum of nineteen pounds. There is no mention of the Chapel in the Deed probably because it had not been registered as a place for public worship at the time. The plot was described as being about forty perches with a dwelling house. It was bounded on the south and east by land
owned by Sir Ivor Bertie Guest, on the west by Poole Lane and on the north by the premises and garden of Thomas Hicks which had previously been owned by William [Richard] Frampton.
The Chapel was registered as a place for public worship in 1863 after which Thomas Hicks sold it, with the approval of The Reverend John Killick, for one pound sterling to a group of Trustees so securing it’s survival. The indenture for this conveyance, also held in the Dorset History Centre, was for a parcel of land fifty one feet long and twenty nine feet wide and the Chapel erected on it. The indenture states that the conveyance was subject to the trusts declared in the Wesleyan Methodists Model Deed. This Model Deed was an Indenture of Release dated 3 July 1832 for a Chapel at Skircoat, Halifax for the use of the people called Methodists.
The Trustees named in the indenture for the conveyance of the Wesleyan Chapel at West Howe
• Edward Howell of Waterloo, Ironfounder
• George Curtis of Poole, Auctioneer
• William Male of Poole, Bookseller
• Edward Jennings of Poole, Timber Merchant
• John Case of Poole, Cordwainer
• James Llewellyn of Poole, Grocer
• George Holloway of Poole, Baker
• Charles Balson of Poole, Saddler
• James William Gentry of Waterloo, Ironfounder
• William Hunt the Younger of Poole, Joiner
• Elias Sharland of Corfe Hill, Brickmaker
• William Stickland of Poole, Blacksmith
• Frederick Walker of Poole, Potter
The Reverend John Killick,The Superintendent preacher of the Poole Circuit at the time, was also a party to the indenture.
Thomas Hicks retained ownership of the two cottages and gardens until his death but it appears that he did not live in either continuing to live in rented premises in East Howe.
The Chapel was in use until 1896. The Chapel and adjacent cottages are shown in the top left hand corner of Dorset Sheet XLIV.NW Surveyed: 1887, Published: 1887
George Curtis was a builder and lay preacher in addition to being an auctioneer of property. He was a witness to the will of Thomas Hicks.