The new Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was first opened on June 23rd 1898, and cost £2,000. It is reported on the village website that people travelled far and wide to the official opening service; So much so that the train from Sheffield to Manchester made an unscheduled stop at Hope to drop off the high numbers of visitors.
It replaced the previous chapel in the centre of the village, providing a wider range of ancilliary rooms. The chapel itself seated 230 in 1940, and 200 in 1970 (albeit with space for 100 children in the Sunday School). Tastes in chapel furnishing had changed since 1809, and the new chapel had a large stained glass window, see this photograph by Bill Brinkley
The chapel became the Methodist church for Castleton in 1934, and is still in existence. The former Primitive Methodist chapel at the East end of the village is now the village hall, and the current Methodist church at the West end now hosts The Peveril Centre as a modern events venue. Clearly we Methodists knew how to build for the community.
Grid reference SK 148829
“Methodist church” Castleton Village website, accessed October 6, 2021 https://castletonvillage.co.uk/methodist-church/
“The Peveril Centre” Castleton Methodist Church website, accessed October 6, 2021 https://www.peverilcentre.com
Statistical returns … as at July 1st 1940. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1947
Statistical returns Part 2, 1973. Manchester: Methodist Church, Department of Chapel Affairs, 1973