The first Wesleyan Methodist chapel in Castleton, in the Peak District, was built in 1809 and was originally in the Bradwell Wesleyan Circuit.
The return for the 1851 Religious Census was compiled by Micah Tym, the Steward, who was a lead miner. There were 227 sittings, of which 136 were free. There were two services on the 30th March, one in the afternoon attended by 75 adults and 69 Sunday School scholars, and one in the evening attended by 145 adults. When it came to informing the Wesleyan Chapel Committee of seating arrangements in 1873, Mr. Tym’s successor thought 197 could be seated.
By 1898 it was felt that larger premises were required, and a new chapel was built in Buxton Road on the edge of the village. The original building still stands, but is now in commercial use with a shed obscuring the original frontage onto Back Street.
Grid reference SK150830
The National Archives HO 129/2/8/14
Returns of accommodation … 1873. London: Wesleyan Conference Office, 1875