Patterdale, Glenridding WM Chapel, Westmorland

Grid ref NY387172

A preaching place in Patterdale was built by Mr Head for the use of Methodists. The date and cost are unknown. In 1873 it had 100 sittings. It probably closed when the chapel was built. Patterdale, Glenridding WM Chapel was erected in 1890. The premises were valued at £920 in 1897. The Sunday school was added 1903-4 at a cost of £600. Plans drawn up in 1994 for the conversion of the building into two residences show the chapel entered through a door in one end of a porch which extended nearly the whole width of the chapel, The chapel itself was entered through a central door leading to three block of pews twelve in the central block, fourteen in each side block. There was a rostrum opposite the main entrance with a vestry and another vestibule behind. A kitchen, perhaps a later addition extended beyond the back of the  main building. The school room was also was added behind the vestry and it had a further entrance at the opposite end. In 1940 there was a chapel seating 230 in pews, a schoolroom and two other rooms. By 1980 the seating capacity had been reduced to 190. It was still in use as a place of worship in 1991. The exact date of closure has not been ascertained btt the disposal of the building was in contemplation in 1994. It is now used for residential purposes. (Cumbria Archive Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62, DFCM3/4/126, Carlisle DFCM/1/2/82-97; Wesleyan seating returns, 1873; Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991; site visit March 2015)

Patterdale WM Chapel from the south, March 20152
G W Oxley
Patterdale WM Chapel and Sunday school (ii) from northeast, March 20152
G W Oxley
Patterdale WM Chapel and Sunday school from northeast, March 2015
G W Oxley

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *