Hawkshead, Flagg Street Chapel was built and donated to trustees by Elizabeth Cooke (1823-66). It was not Methodist at first and in 1912 it was known a the Union Chapel. It probably became attached to the Wesleyans in 1924. In 1940 the Chapel had 60 sittings on forms and there were no other rooms. The interior contains two blocks of forms and there is a small gallery at the back. There are two memorial windows containing portraits of their subjects. One is “In memory of Elizabeth wife of Henry Cooke, 1823-1866, who gave this mission” and the other is “In memory of A Elizabeth, daughter of Henry and Elizabeth Cooke, 1866-1916”. Apart from its entrance the chapel is hidden among other buildings but being in a tourist hotspot it is open to visitors and contains a number if interesting displays.
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Photograph of the trustees in 1912 displayed in the chapel
Site visit, 12.4.2016