Grasmere WM Chapel, Westmorland

Grid ref NY337076

Grasmere WM Chapel, Westmorland
Nave from South , 8 July 2017
Nave from South , 8 July 2017
Transept, 8 July 2017
Transept, 8 July 2017

The foundation stone for Grasmere WM Chapel was laid in June 1873 and the chapel opened on 4th June 1874. The site had been purchased by Mr WT Welpton of London for £42.12.0d. He also gave £50 to the building fund. A clock was given to the architect who had given his services gratis, The building cost £500. In 1940 the chapel had 150 sittings in pews and there was a schoolroom. By 1980 the number of sittings had been reduced to 105. The chapel was subsequently closed and although the building is apparently well maintained its current use is not apparent

Sources:

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97 Carlisle District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

Cumbria Archives Service Kendal  WDFCM1/6/4  seating returns 1891

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Grasmere Methodist Church, 1874-1974

Site visit 8.7.2017

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone