Bowness WM Chapel was erected in 1883 on a site called “Stone Cliff” on earlier OS map. Both map and and the physical appearance suggest that it was a disused quarry. The land cost £386.18.9d and the building £1984.18.6½d. The main contractors were H Pattonson (builder, £805), JG Parker (carpenter, £518.16.0d), Mr Russell (plumber, £69.13.0d). The heating system cost £55 and window glazing £59.18.0d. The architect was a Mr Walker. The chapel measured 47 feet by 31feet and seated 250. Beneath it were a large schoolroom, three smaller rooms, a kitchen and a two bedroom caretaker’s house..In 1940 the chapel had 194 sittings and there were two schoolrooms and one other room. It was a Methodist place of worship in 1991 but the chapel is now the Lakes Christian Centre and the caretaker’s house continues to be in residential use.
The chapel was built of local stone with aslate roof and ashlared yellow sandstone dressings. Apart from the main entrance and the three light windoe above it the openings are in a plain early English style. This is a fairly late example of the chapel being built above the other rooms which were in effect in a basement or semi basement. It made good use of a restricted site but conditions in basements were hardly ideal.
Cumbria Archives Service , Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle District property schedules, 1898-1917
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Carlisle Library 1A287 Bowness Methodist Church, 1883 – 1883
Site visit 12.4.2016