This rather grim looking building is situated on the edge of Ambleside close to the main road to Grasmere. It was erected by Rev. Mr Coombs at a cost of £1100 in 1841. He sold it to the Methodists for £400 in 1847. There were 150 free and 150 lettable sittings in in 1851. The chapel was reported to “have reopened”, probably after the completion of major works, in 1878/9. There were 235 sittings in 1873. The chapel was closed when the new chapel in Millans Park opened in 1899 and the building was sold for £555. It is now in residential use.
The National Archives HO129.575/1/5
Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DCM1/2/82-97 Carlisle District property schedules, 1862-1877
Wesleyan seating returns, 1873
Cumbria Archives Service, Kendal WDFCM1/6/4 seating returns 1891
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99
Robert White, A brief history of Methodism in Ambleside
Site visit, 8.7.2017