Ambleside Chapel was designed by W. Mason and built in 1898-9. Land for a new chapel had been bought in Millans Park in 1890. The stone laying for the new chapel was in 1898 and the chapel opened on 6th July 1899. The building cost £2231.15d and the furnishings £1081.12.9. The erection of a lecture hall, vestries etc, at an estimated cost of £1000, was approved in 1904. A schoolroom was added and opened on 24th July 1907. The first organ was brought from Green Street Chapel in Morecambe and inaugurated on 22nd January 1903. A replacement by Wilkinson & Sons of Kendal was opened on 5th January 1917. Plans for renovations and the installation of a new heating system at a cost of £230 were approved in 1924-5. In 1940 the chapel had 310 sittings in pews and there was a schoolroom and two other rooms. The number of sittings had been reduced to 270 by 1980. The chapel closed in 2005 and the congregation moved to The Parish Centre. The buildings have been converted into residential units.
Cumbria Archives Service, Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle District property schedules, 1898-1917
John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99 and 1920-32
Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist Property Statistics 1940, 1980, 1991
Robert White, A brief history of Methodism in Ambleside
M Hyde and N Pevsner, Cumbria in the Buildings of England series, p 99
Site visit 8.7.2017