Wetheral WM Chapel, Cumberland

Grid Ref NY462546

By GW Oxley

 

The chapel was built of brick and opened on 4th October 1873 when it had 150 sittings. The total cost including land was £440. In 1894/5 approval was granted for the construction of unspecified enlargements. In 1940 it had 80 sittings in pews There was also a one other room. In December 2013 it was in use as Methodist place of worship.

Sources

Carlisle Library, 1A287, Methodist property statistics 1940, 1980, 1991;

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM1/2/82-97, Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1862-1877

Cumbria Archives Service Carlisle DFCM3/1/43-62 Carlisle WM District property schedules, 1898-1917

John Rylands Library, University of Manchester, Carlisle WM District minutes, 1878-99

Wesleyan seating returns 1873

Carlisle Library, 1A287 Wetheral Methodist Church, 1873 - 1973

Site visit Dec. 2013

Photo:WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

G W Oxley

Photo:Foundation stone Plaque to right of window WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

Foundation stone Plaque to right of window WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

G W Oxley

Photo:Plaque to leftt of window WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

Plaque to leftt of window WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

Photo:Plaque to right of window WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

Plaque to right of window WM Chapel. Wetheral, Cumbria. 11.12.2013

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 14/12/2013.