Sheffield, Crookesmoor Road, St John's Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Yorkshire

By GW Oxley

In 1940 St John’s Wesleyan Methodist Chapel had seating for 740 in pews. There were three schoolrooms and sixteen other rooms.

This is an enormous building erected on a site which falls away steeply from the roadway affording accommodation on several levels. It can be compared with the long demolished chapel at Maryport in Cumbria which was built on a similar but perhaps more precipitous site. The building is now in residential occupation.

Sources

Methodist Property Statistics 1940

Site visit 16.6.2018

Photo:Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM  Chapel, front and north side, 16.6.2018

Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM Chapel, front and north side, 16.6.2018

G W Oxley

Photo:Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM  Chapel, front and north side, 16.6.2018

Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM Chapel, front and north side, 16.6.2018

G W Oxley

Photo:Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM  Chapel, foundation stone.  16.6.2018

Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM Chapel, foundation stone. 16.6.2018

G W Oxley

Photo:Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM  Chapel,lower ground floor, 16.6.2018

Sheffield Crookesmoor Road WM Chapel,lower ground floor, 16.6.2018

This page was added by GW Oxley on 18/06/2018.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.