Oxford, New Inn Hall Street, Wesley Memorial Wesleyan Church, Oxfordshire

Grid ref SP 512063

By GW Oxley

The first Wesleyan chapel in New Inn  Hall Street was built on land to the rear of the present church to designs by William Jenkins. The foundation stone was laid on 9th May 1817 and the chapel opened on 19th  February 1818. The contractor was Daniel Evans of Eagle Street, Red Lion Square whose bill came to £2965.0.1d. The total cost of the building was £5013.3.3d.  After the erection of the new church the old building was used as a school and eventually sold to St Peter’s College which demolished it c.1968-74 to make way for new buildings. There are images of both the front and rear elevations in the published history of the chapel.

            The present church was designed by Charles Bell of London and the main contractors, Messrs Simm & Co, started work on 28 July 1877. The chapel was opened on 11th October 1878. The total cost of the scheme including the conversion of the old chapel for use as a girls’ school was £13,000.8.2d. The chapel continues in use as a Methodist place of worship.

(JE Oxley, A History of Wesley Memorial Church, Oxford, 1818 - 1968; site visit 14.10.2015)

 

Photo:Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,side view, 14.10.2015

Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,side view, 14.10.2015

G W Oxley

Photo:Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,spire, 14.10.2015

Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,spire, 14.10.2015

G W Oxley

Photo:Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church, porch to spire, 14.10.2015

Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church, porch to spire, 14.10.2015

G W Oxley

Photo:Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,porch, 14.10.2015

Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,porch, 14.10.2015

G W Oxley

Photo:Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,halls, etc, 14.10.2015

Oxford, Wesley Memorial Church,halls, etc, 14.10.2015

G W Oxley

This page was added by GW Oxley on 02/11/2015.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.